Osher Re-entry Scholarship
The University of New Mexico is proud to partner with the Bernard Osher Foundation to provide the Osher Reentry Scholarship Program for returning adult students. The Osher Scholarships are designed to help undergraduate students who have experienced a five-year cumulative gap in their education. Osher Re-entry Scholarship provides up to 50% of tuition costs for selected participants based on a yearly application process. The Selection Committee will base scholarships on a need for financial assistance, commitment to a bachelor’s degree attainment, and focus on entering the workforce upon degree completion.
The scholarship may be awarded to students who meet the following criteria:
- Have experienced a cumulative interruption in their education of five or more years;
- Are at the undergraduate level and pursuing their first baccalaureate degree;
- Anticipate being a workforce participant for a significant period of time upon graduation and ideally be aged 25 - 50 years old;
- Demonstrate financial need;
- Show academic promise and a commitment to obtaining their degree.
This award is not intended for graduate students or students seeking an additional degree. It is not intended for students who are only enrolled in exclusively online courses or for international students who are visiting the United States with the intention of returning to their countries of origin after graduation.
- Applicants must be admitted to The University of New Mexico for the Spring 2023 semester
- Full or part-time undergraduate student pursuing their first baccalaureate degree
- Have experienced a cumulative gap in their post-secondary education following high school of five years or more (years do not have to be consecutive and applicants MAY be currently enrolled in college)
Before submitting your application, please review the above information and the following points to ensure a complete understanding of the scholarship application, deadline, and eligibility requirements.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete, and all requested materials are submitted. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
A complete scholarship application includes the following: (Click each area for an expanded description)
Applicants will be expected to provide information that will be used by the selection committee to help determine applicant eligibility, notify scholarship recipients, and assist in program tracking.
Applicants must submit a personal statement using the following guidelines:
- Provide a personal statement between 300 – 500 words, expressing your educational and career goals.
- Please explain how the UNM Osher Re-entry Scholarship will assist you financially in obtaining these goals.
- You may describe the need for this scholarship, educational and career goals, any work experience, personal accomplishments, and any hardship or obstacles you may have overcome or currently face in pursuit of your education.
- Applicants may also include outside activities, professional organization involvement, community service and/or honors and awards.
Applicants must submit proof of enrollment at UNM or an unofficial copy of their transcript.
Applicants must provide a signature to confirm all the information presented in their application is true and complete to the best of their knowledge. This also gives permission to The University of New Mexico and the Osher Re-entry Scholarship to share this information for the purpose of public relations and/or potential future scholarship projects.
Applicants must reaffirm that the following four (4) areas are completed prior to submitting their application.
- Applicant Information Form
- Personal Statement
- Proof of Enrollment / Unofficial Transcripts
- Signed Certification Paragraph
All scholarship applications must be submitted electronically by completing the form below. Applications must be submitted no later than the posted deadline. Legibility, accuracy, and completeness of applications will be considered. Only complete applications will be accepted.
All scholarship applicants will be notified regarding the Scholarship Committee’s final decision and all decisions are final. An award letter will be sent to scholarship recipients and funds will be applied to students' UNM accounts.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the Fall 2023 semester; however, priority is given to those applications that are submitted prior to Friday, April 28, 2023.