El Mezquite Scholarship
The El Mezquite Scholarship is designed to provide financial assistance to students graduating from a New Mexico high school with the intention of attending the University of New Mexico or currently enrolled as a University of New Mexico college student. The Selection Committee will base scholarships on educational achievement, leadership qualities, letter of recommendations, a written essay and a strong need for financial assistance. Scholarship awards are up to $1,000!
- be a current UNM college student
- be enrolled at The University of New Mexico during the Fall and Spring semesters of the 2021-2022 academic year
- Proficiency in the Spanish Language and demonstrated leadership and commitment to advance the culture and economy of Mexico through a chosen career
- Low-income students demonstrating financial need.
- have a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA
Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate leadership within the Hispanic community
A typed essay between 300 – 500 words, double-spaced, expressing your educational and career goals. Please also explain how you have demonstrated leadership in the Hispanic community, either in school, extracurricular activities, family and/or community. Please share with us your family history and what is your definition of leadership. Also, please share why the scholarship and community engagement are important to your education.
Please provide the name and email address of two (2) individuals who are willing to provide you a letter of recommendation. The El Mezquite Scholarship team will reach out to your recommenders to request their letter of support.
Applications must be submitted electronically and must be received by 5:00 pm on Friday, February 25, 2020.