New Mexico Leadership Institute
The New Mexico Leadership Institute is an innovative five-year program targeting New Mexico high school juniors who have demonstrated a particular aptitude for leadership, creativity, resourcefulness and an entrepreneurial spirit, but who may be at risk of dropping out of high school or not attending college. The goal of NMLI’s program is to graduate these students from high school, support their transition into one of New Mexico’s flagship universities (University of New Mexico and New Mexico State University), and have them graduate in four years with the skills and knowledge they need to obtain ready employment in New Mexico. With one of the highest high school drop-out rates in the country, low college matriculation and graduation rates, and with many of the State’s most talented young leaders leaving for opportunity elsewhere, New Mexico is struggling to reach its economic potential. NMLI’s curriculum, created through a collaboration with UNM and NMSU, as well as the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL), a globally recognized firm in leadership research and training, is designed to address these challenges in a comprehensive way
They are students who have:
- Entrepreneurial spirit
NMLI wants to help these students by:
- Graduating these students from high school
- Support their transition into one of New Mexico’s flagship universities (University of New Mexico and New Mexico State University)
- Have them graduate in four years with the skills and knowledge they need to obtain ready employment in New Mexico
- Address the challenges these students face and help them succeed
Applications are not currently being accepted for the NMLI scholarship. For more information visit, https://www.newmexicoleadership.org/
- Must be a New Mexico Resident.
- Must be a junior enrolled in a New Mexico high school with a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average of a 2.5, which must be maintained in order to continue with the institute. (must submit an official or unofficial copy of a current high school transcript).
- Must commit to completing the two-week NM Leadership Institute summer academics (one week and after Junior year).
- Must commit to completing the NMLI Challenge during your senior year
- Must agree attend either New Mexico State University or the University of New Mexico.
Steps to Success:
If selected to be a NMLI Scholar, you commit to completing all the following, while maintaining a 2.5 G.P.A.:
- Attend a two week academy, participating one week at NMSU before your Senior year and the other week at UNM after successful completion of your Senior year.
- Participate in the NMLI Challenge during your senior year which will include research, community service, e-learning and an engagement component.
- *Commit to attend UNM or NMSU upon completion of the yearlong challenge and graduate high school. For application details for UNM please visit http://admissions.unm.edu/ and for NMSU visit http://prospective.nmsu.edu/apply/.
- Commit to the continued development of leadership skills while attending college including
- Mentor students in the NMLI Academy
- Enroll in at least one class during the year that relates to leadership
- Join a recognized student organization on campus
- Participate in at least one summer internship during your college career where you will work with business leaders such as, non-profit Executive Directors, or small business owners.